CAUSES OF FLOOD DISASTERS
1. Excessive rain
2. Overflowing of rivers banks
3. Construction of structures on waterways
4. Dumping of refuse in the drainages
5. Disregard of professionalism in building constructions
6. Outright negligence and carelessness on the part of individuals
7. Individual inadequate knowledge on flood control
8. High water movement combined with stormy conditions
9. Unpleasant climate change
10. Inadequate maintenance of channels
PREVENTIONS AGAINST FLOOD DISASTERS
1. Improve drainage efficiency in your surrounding
2. Pay attention to proactive flood alerts by National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)
3. Avoid dumping rubbishes in water channel or drainage
4. Strictly adhere to the building master plan laid down by the Town Planning Authority
5. Obtain appropriate action to stop flood water entering your property.
6. Avoid building on water way
7. Consider arrangements for children, pets and elderly family members during a flood.
8. Make a list of contact numbers you may need in a flood e.g. friends, relatives etc.
9. Disconnect all electrical appliances after used
10. Plant tree to block flood route to your home
Abubakar Jimoh is the National Coordinator, Youths Against Disasters Initiative (YADI), Abuja.